Homemade Granola Bars
3 cups rolled oats (long term storage)
1 cup pecans or almonds chopped (short term storage) preferably soaked & dried
1 cup coconut flakes or shredded (long term storage)
1/2 coconut palm sugar or evaporated cane juice (or sugar) (long term storage)
2/3 cup honey (long term storage)
2 Tablespoons butter (fresh or canned)
2 Teaspoons vanilla (short term storage)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (long term storage)
6 to 8 ounces of dried fruit, chocolate chips, seeds, or whatever you have on hand. (short term storage items)
- Toast the oats, nuts, and coconut in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Melt the sugar, honey, butter, vanilla, and salt. I use a candy thermometer to let me know when I reach the soft ball stage (225-235 F) because I like these chewy. Let it go longer if you like them crunchy!
- Mix the honey mixture with the toasted ingredients in a large bowl. Be careful, this will be HOT!
- Add in the remaining ingredients (dried fruit, chocolate, seeds, etc)
- Press the hot mixture into a (greased or parchment lined) 9×13 dish.
- Cool and cut while slightly warm.