4 cups peeled and grated carrots
1 1/2 cups soaked and dried walnuts or pecans
1 cup chopped dates (or raisins if you prefer)
2 cups sprouted flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon (or more if you fancy! I love the smell so I always add more!)
1 teaspoon cloves (or less since it's strong)
2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 large pastured eggs
1 cup coconut oil, melted/softened
1 cup maple syrup (or other natural sweetener- maple sugar, whole cane sugar, etc.)
~1 cup maple sugar (you can use less, use something with a molasses flavor to replace brown sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup finely chopped soaked dried nuts (optional- to cover sides of cake)
Cream Cheese Icing:
1 cup pastured unsalted butter
16 ounces cream cheese (2 - 8 oz packages organic full fat cream cheese)
Powdered evaporated cane juice to taste
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Oven: 350
- Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans or a 9x13 sheet cake pan.
- Mix carrots, nuts, dates in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, cinnamon,cloves, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In a LARGE bowl, beat eggs, coconut oil, sugars and vanilla until blended.
- Fold flour mixture into egg mix until just moistened.
- Fold in carrot mix until combined.
- Divide batter between 2 pans or spread evenly in sheet pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs to touch and toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 min. Remove from pans to cooling rack.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together with speed mixer until light and fluffy. Add powdered cane juice until smooth.
- Add orange zest and vanilla.
- Combine for 1 minute until fluffly.
If making 2 layer cake:
Cut off rounded top of cake to create 2 flat surfaces. Place one cake layer cut side down on a platter, spread 1/3 of icing. Top with second layer of cake, cute side down ( so you aren't frosting crumbs!) Spread top with 1/2 of remaining icing. Use rest of icing to cover sides.
Coat sides with chopped nuts if using.
For sheet cake- cover cake with a thick coating of icing. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if using.
ENJOY. It's so satisfyingly delicious. I love all the nuts in this as it adds proteins and fats, and slows the sweet response in the body.